11 N J St, Lake Worth, FL 33460
How to Lock a Door From the Outside – How to Lock a Door From the Outside Without a Key
There may come a time when you need to lock a door from the outside but don’t have a key. Maybe you’ve lost your key, or perhaps the key is inside, and you can’t get to it. Whatever the reason, there are several ways to lock a door from the outside without a key.
This blog post will discuss different methods you can use. We can also compile a list of lock types you can lock from inside and outside, so you can have an informed decision when you plan to change your door locks. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Can You Lock a Door From the Outside Without a Key?
The answer to this question is yes; you can lock a door from the outside without a key. But before we get into discussing its details, it’s important to note that not all doors can be locked without a key.
If your door has a knob for both inside and outside, then you’re likely unable to lock the door from the outside without a key. However, there are many ways to lock a door from the outside, even if you don’t have a key.
Here are four methods that you can use to lock a door from the outside without a key:
- Use a paperclip or other small object to push the locking mechanism on the doorknob. This will lock the door without a key.
- If there is a small hole in the doorknob, you can insert a nail or other sharp object to lock the door.
- Use a credit card to slide between the door and the frame. This will cause the latch to engage and lock the door.
- Place a wedge under the door to keep a door closed. You can also use a chair or other heavy objects to block the door.
These are just a few ways to lock a door from the outside without a key. If you find yourself in this situation, try one of these methods and see if it works. With a little ingenuity, you should be able to lock any door without a key.
How to Lock a Deadbolt From the Outside
As we all know, there are many different types of locks. The most common and secure type of lock is the deadbolt. A deadbolt lock is usually used on exterior doors and can be single or double cylinders.
Single-cylinder deadbolts can be locked from the outside with a key, while double-cylinder deadbolts require a key to be used inside and outside. If you have single cylinder deadbolts and you need to go outside without your key, you can follow these steps:
What You’ll Need:
- Pen or Pencil
- Locks the door while you are still inside
- Attach the pen or pencil to the top of the deadbolts level using tape or a string.
- Make sure that the pencil or pen is securely attached to the lever.
- Unlock the deadbolt.
- Cut a string and ensure it’s long enough to reach the deadbolt lever inside and out under the door.
- Tie one end of the string to the deadbolt lever.
- Go outside and pull up on the string to lock the door from outside.
- Now that you’re on the door’s other side use the string to pull up on the deadbolt lever and lock the door.
How to Lock a Bedroom Door from the Outside Without a Lock?
You may need to lock a door from the outside for many reasons. Maybe you want to keep people out of your room, or you’re trying to prevent a young child from getting into a dangerous area. Whatever the reason, there are several ways that you can do this.
Add a Padlock to Your Bedroom Door
Adding a padlock to your door is one way to lock a door from the outside without a key. This is a relatively simple and inexpensive way to do it and will work with most types of doors. In this method, you will need:
- A padlock
- A drill
- A screwdriver
Step One: Drill a hole in the door near the handle. This is where you will put the shackle of the padlock through. Ensure the hole is big enough for the shackle to fit through but not so big that the lock is loose.
Step Two: Put the padlock’s shackle through the hole and close it.
Step Three: On the other side of the door, use a screwdriver to tighten the screws that hold the padlock. Make sure they are tight enough so the padlock cannot be removed, but not so tight that it is difficult to open.
Step Four: Close the door and test the lock to ensure it is secure.
Using a Door Knob Lockout Device
Another way to lock a door outside without a key is to use a door knob lockout device. This small device fits over the door knob and prevents it from being turned. These devices are relatively inexpensive and easy to use and will also work with most types of doors. In this method, you will need:
- A door knob lockout device
- A Phillips head screwdriver
- Place the door knob lockout device over the door knob.
- Use the Phillips head screwdriver to tighten the screws on the device until it is snug against the door knob.
- Test the device by trying to turn the door knob. It should not be possible to turn it on with the device.
Use X-Lock to Lock a Door from the Outside
An X-lock is a device placed over the inside of the door handle and locks it in place. This prevents the door from being opened from the inside but doesn’t prevent it from being opened from the outside. When you leave the room, you have to slide the X-lock in place, and when you come back, you have to slide it off again. This is a good option if you want to be able to lock the door without a key but don’t want to have to worry about losing the key. It is similar to a door wedge in that it is placed inside the door but more secure.
Install a Keypad Bedroom Lock
If you’re looking for how to lock bedroom doors from the outside without a key, one option is to install a keypad bedroom lock. This type of lock allows you to enter a code to unlock the door, so you don’t need a key.
Installing a keypad bedroom lock is a professional thing, so it’s best to hire a locksmith to do it for you. But if you’re handy and want to try it yourself, here’s how:
- First, remove the old lock from the door. To do this, unscrew the screws that hold the lock in place. Then, disconnect the wires from the back of the lock (if there are any).
- Next, install the new lock. Start by screwing it into place, then connect the wires (if there are any).
- Once the new lock is installed, test it to ensure it works. Then, pat yourself on the back – you’ve just successfully installed a keypad bedroom lock!
At CD Locksmith, we can install keypad locks for you quickly and easily. We’ve been a professional locksmith company in business for many years, so we know a thing or two about locks! We have the best keypad bedroom product, so you can rest assured that your home is safe and secure.
Replacing the Existing Door Knob or Handle With a Keyed One
You can also lock a door from the outside without a key by replacing the existing door knob or handle with a keyed one. This quick and easy way to add a lock to your door doesn’t require drilling a new hole.
Not all keyed door knobs are not created equal, so you need to choose one that is compatible with your door. Measuring the diameter of the hole in the door is a good place to start. Next, you need to determine how the knob will be attached to the door. There are three common attachment methods: surface-mounted, mortise-mounted, and tubular.
Once you have chosen a keyed door knob, it’s time to install it. This process will vary depending on the type of knob you have chosen. Generally, you will need to drill holes in the door and use screws to attach the knob. But since we will only be replacing an existing knob, you don’t have to make a new hole. You will need a screwdriver to remove the old knob and install the new one.
After removing the old knob, look at how it was attached to the door. If it was mortise-mounted, you would need to remove the old mounting plate from the door. If it is surface-mounted or tubular, you can skip this step. Now that the old knob is out of the way, it’s time to install the new one.
To install a keyed door knob:
- Position the new knob on the door.
- If the knob is surface-mounted, use screws to attach it to the door.
- If the knob is mortise-mounted, insert the mounting plate into the hole in the door and use screws to attach it.
- If the knob is tubular, slide it into the hole in the door.
- Use the screws with the knob to attach to the door.
- Test the knob to make sure it is secure.
- If necessary, use a key to lock the door from the outside.
Using a Universal Portable Door Lock
As you can see, there are many ways to lock your bedroom door from the outside without a key. But wait, we are not yet done! Another way to do this is by using a universal portable door lock. This device can be easily installed and removed and does not require drilling or screwing.
- To install a universal portable door lock:
- Position the lock on the door.
- Insert the bolt into the hole in the door.
- Use the screws with the lock to attach it to the door.
- Test the lock to make sure it is secure.
- If necessary, use a key to lock the door from the outside.
Install a Dead Bolt
As mentioned above, a deadbolt can be locked from the interior and exterior of the door. This s one of the most secure locks you can install on your door. It works by inserting a metal rod into a door hole, making it very difficult to force open.
When you leave your room, you can lock the deadbolt from the outside using a key. By doing this, you can be sure that your room will be secure even if someone tries to pick the lock.
To lock the deadbolt from the outside, you just need to insert the key into the hole in the door. Then, turn the key to lock the deadbolt.
As you can see, several ways to lock your door from the outside without a key. By taking the time to choose the right type of lock for your needs, you can be sure that your room will be secure.
If you are unsure how to do all the methods mentioned above, CD Locksmith can do it for you. We are your one-stop shop for all things related to locks and keys! When you call us, we will be equipped with the right tools and knowledge to help you. Contact us today for all your locksmith needs!
Doors that Can be Locked and Unlocked From the Outside
Some types of doors can be locked and unlocked outside without a key. This includes:
Double Cylinder Lock
A double cylinder lock has a keyhole on both the inside and outside of the door. This lock is engineered with high-quality materials to make it resistant to picking, bumping, and other forms of forced entry.
Antique Door Knob
Antique door knobs are another type of door hardware that can be locked and unlocked from the outside without a key. These door knobs are often found in older homes and usually have a small hole in the center of the knob.
Sliding Glass Door
A sliding glass door is a type of door that slides open and closed on a track. These doors are usually found in homes with patios or balconies. Sliding glass doors can be locked from the outside using a pin lock or a slide lock.
Push Button Lock
A push-button lock has a small button inside the door that locks and unlocks the door. You can find these locks on both interior and exterior doors. To lock a push button lock from the outside, simply push the button in with a small object like a paperclip.
Lever Handle Lock
A lever handle lock is a type of door knob with a lever instead of a knob. This type of lock can be seen on both interior and exterior doors. To lock a lever handle lock from the outside, simply push down on the lever.
At CD Locksmith, we have all the types of locks mentioned above and more. We can help you choose the right type of lock for your needs and install it. Contact us today to learn more about our services!
Should I lock the Door From the Outside
The answer to this question depends on the situation. If you’re home alone and need to go outside for a short period, it’s probably not necessary to lock the door from the outside. However, if you’re going to be away from home for an extended period, or if you live in a high-crime area, it’s probably a good idea to lock the door from the outside.
If the bedroom door is what you need to secure, there are a few things you should lock the door from the outside. Your privacy may be invaded, or you may be in danger and need a way to escape quickly.
Benefits of Locking Your Doors from the Outside
While it may seem that locking your doors from the outside is more trouble than it’s worth, there are a few benefits to doing so. Here are some of the benefits of locking your doors from the outside:
- It’s more difficult for someone to break into your home
- You can’t be locked out of your home if you lose your keys
- You can still get out of your home in an emergency
Few Things to Keep in Mind When Locking Your Doors from the Outside
If you are locking your doors from the outside, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure your safety and your family’s safety. Here are some tips:
- Make sure you have a way to get back into your home if you lose your keys
- If you have young children, make sure they know how to unlock the door from the inside in case of an emergency
- If you live in a high-crime area, consider installing a security system to monitor your home while you’re away
When it comes to securing your home, locking your doors from the outside is a great option. This method of locking your doors is more difficult for burglars to bypass and can give you peace of mind when you’re away from home. Keep the tips above in mind when locking your doors from the outside, and always ensure you have a way to get back into your home if you lose your keys.
Do you need a professional locksmith to help you with your door locks? We’ve got you covered. Our locksmiths are experienced and can help you with any particular lock, including installing smart locks, rekeying locks, and changing lock combinations. We can also adjust your door frame and repair your existing lock. Give locksmith Lake Worth FL a call today to schedule a consultation.
Contact me today for a free estimate
My Address3330 Fairchild Gardens Ave, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410